Wednesday 24 May 2023

My Sister, The Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite ~ May's Book Club Choice


Publisher: Penguin Random House USA 
Publication Date: 20th  November  2018
Genre: Womens Fiction/ Humour
Summary:
"Femi makes three, you know. Three and they label you a serial killer."

Korede is bitter. How could she not be? Her sister, Ayoola, is many things: the favorite child, the beautiful one, possibly sociopathic. And now Ayoola's third boyfriend in a row is dead.

Korede's practicality is the sisters' saving grace. She knows the best solutions for cleaning blood, the trunk of her car is big enough for a body, and she keeps Ayoola from posting pictures of her dinner to Instagram when she should be mourning her "missing" boyfriend. Not that she gets any credit.

Korede has long been in love with a kind, handsome doctor at the hospital where she works. She dreams of the day when he will realize that she's exactly what he needs. But when he asks Korede for Ayoola's phone number, she must reckon with what her sister has become and how far she's willing to go to protect her.


Review:

So this month's theme is comedy and this book was on a list of comedy reads, but if I'm honest I'm not sure why? It was a really easy-to-read book( I read it in 2 and half hours) and it's well written but I didn't get the funny (could just be me).
Korede had so many opportunities to stop her sister and save the man she's in love with from being ruined but she just sat back and let her sister continue with her whatever her plan was, and it kind of annoyed me if I'm honest. And whilst she never killed anyone, she's just as bad as her sister I feel for covering it all up and helping her not get caught.
I liked the coma patient Muhtar and the fact that he remembered all her ramblings while he was unconscious but still wanted to stay in contact and I would have liked her to keep that contact and maybe break away from her unhealthy relationship with her sister. 

Now for what the book club ladies thought, well they all really liked it safe to say I gave it the lowest score of the night! They all found it easy to read, hard to put down but like me, they expected more from the ending. My favourite quote to sum it up in 3 words was " Definalty not comedy" because none of us could understand how it made it onto a list of comedy books, but it was enjoyable nonetheless.

Book Club Score ~ 8/10

Krystina xx

 

No comments:

Post a Comment