Sunday 25 September 2022

Belladonna by Adalyn Grace

 





Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton
Publication Date: 30 Aug. 2022
Genre: Young Adult
Summary:
For as long as Signa Farrow has been alive, the people in her life have fallen like stars . . .

Orphaned as a baby, nineteen-year-old Signa has been raised by a string of guardians, each more interested in her wealth than her wellbeing - and each has met an untimely end. Her remaining relatives are the elusive Hawthornes, an eccentric family living at Thorn Grove, an estate both glittering and gloomy.

Its patriarch mourns his late wife through wild parties, while his son grapples for control of the family's waning reputation and his daughter suffers from a mysterious illness. But when their mother's restless spirit appears claiming she was poisoned, Signa realizes that the family she depends on could be in grave danger, and enlists the help of a surly stable boy to hunt down the killer.

Signa's best chance of uncovering the murderer, though, is an alliance with Death himself, a fascinating, dangerous shadow who has never been far from her side. Though he's made her life a living hell, Death shows Signa that their growing connection may be more powerful - and more irresistible - than she ever dared imagine.



Review:

I have to start by saying I absolutely loved this book! I loved the sound of it when I read the blurb on NetGalley and I was so happy when I got approved for it. Unusually for me I requested the Audiobook, this was only about the 3rd audiobook I've listened to and this was fabulous. The narrator was brilliant her pacing was spot on and her voices for the different characters were great I really hope they get her to do the rest of the series. I think I started saying how brilliant the book was about 3 chapters in and I ended up convincing two other fabulous bloggers at Reads must and Reading the year away to join me in reading it as a mini read-along/bookclub( ill pop links to their blogs/ Instagram at the end so you can see what they thought). By the time they requested it the audiobook wasn't available so they both read instead of listening to it, which meant that they finished way before me and I think we perceived things differently because of that. For example, I wasn't surprised that Death and Silas were the same person, I think early on I clocked onto that and I'm not sure if that was because the voices being used were quite similar or the way they used certain phrases were similar or that I just saw that plot hook coming. But both of my fellow bloggers were surprised by it.
I have to say my absolute favorite parts of this book were the interactions between Signa and Death and watching their relationship blossom, I just couldn't get enough of those parts they were so well written. And I really can't wait for book 2 for more of it!
I honestly didn't see Percy being the killer, that was a surprise to me. And his level of planning to try and see though what he wanted to happen was impressive.
I think I've given enough spoilers, for now, if you want them all you'll have to go buy the book! (i pre-ordered it right after I finished the audiobook)
I don't usually score my none book club reviews... but this was 5-star!

Krystina x

Reads Must 
Instagram-@readsmust.blog
Blog-https://ebd2710.wixsite.com/readsmust

Reading the year away
Instagram- @
reading.the.year.away
Blog-https://linktr.ee/readingtheyearaway




No comments:

Post a Comment